Monday, October 5, 2015

The Bowl

My husband and I are big on health. 

We like good, whole foods but we also like them to taste good. Enter the green smoothie. We've been making these for years around my house and pretty sure they aren't new to anyone. But they are an awesome way to get a crap ton of greens in without eating 5 salads a day. Ya with me??

K. Now enter the acai bowl. Again, nothing new to anyone. It's a little, dark, magical berry full of all sorts of antioxidants and good stuff. 

Acai bowls were a big deal back in Utah and they are a big deal here on the island too. Super thick acai with granola and bananas and honey and yummmm! Buuuuuut, they have a downfall. Atleast for us. Kade calls them "sugar bowls". Haha ah. It's true. They are so good and pretty but really can have just so much sugar in them. Granted it's mostly from fruits and things but it's still a lot and while I loooove a good acai bowl, I don't always love the tons of sugar and the way it makes me feel after. 

K, we're getting there. Promise. Enter.... the green smoothie bowl. 

(cue the hallelujah chorus)

This was monumental guys!! I know, I know. Nothing new to anyone. I get it. 

But, whatever. They are delicious and I like them and I pretty much give myself credit for coming up with them. Awesome. 

It's got all the goodness and greens and veggies of a green smoothie but with the thick awesome consistency and delicious toppings of an acai bowl. WIN. 

I've taken it upon myself to come up with as many odd variations as I can come up with and since it's a lifetime goal of mine to eat more vegetables, it's also a goal to see how many I can hide in there. 

I've pretty much eaten one every day for 2 weeks straight. 

Sooo you'll probably see a lot of posts of them. Sorry.


Probably one of my most favorite bowls I've ever made.

Ready for the hidden veggies?

Massive amounts of spinach, I'm talking fattie handfuls, and BEETS.

I'm obsessed. I add beets to everything. They hide easily, are so, SO good for you, and make a pretty color.

So, behold the beet bowl!

I mixed 2 handfuls of spinach, 1 big cooked beet (thank you Costco for cooking them for me!), chocolate organic Orgain protein powder (a fav of mine), ice, a frozen apple banana, and a splash of almond milk. I try to use as little liquid as possible because I like them really thick.

Topped with granola and chopped almonds. Don't forget the toppings!

Oh, and don't forget to snapchat it either ;)




1 comment:

  1. Wow! This is genius! So do you just eat it like cereal, with a spoon?
    I must try this!

    ReplyDelete