Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Social Media

I have a love/hate relationship with social media. Probably like most everybody else.

I love following people and and seeing what's going on with them and being motivated and getting ideas (stalking occasionally. we all do it...) and yadda yadda. 

I don't like that it makes me feel crappy. Sometimes really crappy! 

It totally has a way of making you compare yourself and magnifying what you don't have. 

I've realized that's what my issue is lately. I spend wayyyyy too much time on Instagram and Facebook and Snapchat and whatever else there is and it has made all moody and grumpy and stuff. 

I have felt a little off for a while. My attitude sucks, I'm really irritable and most of the time I just feel so blah about everything. Everything is BLAH. 

So I did a little evaluating and it wasn't my food, it wasn't sleep... I thought it could be the fact that I spent most of the day alone or that I'm on the computer a good portion of the time for school. But that wasn't it. Then, with a little more evaluating, it became painfully obvious that my time is being sucked into the never-ending black hole of social media.

Proof: 
Montana's schedule

Wake up, check Instagram and emails.

Go to the gym. While doing cardio check Facebook...to keep my mind off of the fact that doing cardio sucks sometimes. Haha mehhh. That's what I tell myself...

Come home, have lunch and while eating catch up on what I missed during the 2 hours of gym time on Instagram. 

Do homework, check everything. Twice.

Post frequent Snaps throughout the day.

....It could go on but I think I've made my point.

IT WAS PATHETIC. Seriously. I can't even admit how many times I looked it a day because it's so embarrassing. 

After thinking about it for a little I was really grossed out. Just by the amount of time I wasted doing something so very unproductive.

So after all of my phases (you know, denial, acceptance and embarrassment, shame...) I have come up with a plan. 

I will most definitely not be doing a "social media fast" because let's be honest... I would be setting myself up for failure. And frankly, I don't want to. Haha! I like social media and I think it can do good things. But, I do need limits. So, from now until whenever I feel like it, I am only checking any sort of social media 2 times a day. Some of you probably already do that and think I'm ridiculous... but I'm a recovering addict (haha) and it's going to be a challenge. 

I'm hoping this will help me to be a little more humble and grateful and nicer to my husband and not so moody and just a bit happier. 

This quote serves as a good reminder.



Now I need some new hobbies. I've got so much free time!! 

Blogging doesn't count, btw. It's a journal ;)

1 comment:

  1. Agreed. Don't worry. As we speak I am in denial of my social media addictions, ha ha. But don't stop blogging because I like stalking your blog.

    ReplyDelete